Advice for Guides¶
Your role is to support the learners and help create a good learning environment.
- Give answers that are appropriate for the stage of learning.
- Ask if people want more detail before infodumping or editorializing.
- Speak from your experience. Do not use the Voice of Authority.
- Assume learners are capable, but inexperienced.
- Stay out of the way! If you are tempted to type on a learner’s keyboard, you are in danger! They should do their own typing, and drive their own machines.
- Help learners break down tasks into repeatable, understandable parts.
- Look for opportunities to empower the learners.
- Learners should be talking more than you are.
- Make room for the voices of all learners. Make space for quieter people to speak.
PyStar is a Safer Space. PyStar is a Learning Space.
- All women are welcome, including trans women.
- Speak from your own experiences.
- Don’t assume race, gender, identity or history of others.
- Use preferred pronouns and names.
- Respect people’s right to self-identify.
- Don’t assume shared experience, belief, or history.
- Assume positive intent.
- Mistakes happen, and we can work through them.
- Everyone has things to contribute.
- Good coversations involve multiple voices.
- Make space for quiet voices to speak.
- Learners have different desires and needs.