Advice for Learners¶
- Ask questions of each other first, then your guides.
- If you are confused, or lost, back up, try again.
- Do experiments!
- Break down tasks into repeatable, understandable parts.
- Even expert coders write lots of broken code. mistakes are normal.
- The computer does exactly what you tell it to, not what you want it to do.
- your own pace is the right pace.
- Your background is a good background, and you have things to contribute.
- Are you where you think you are? –> pwd, hostname
- Restart the server.
- Hard-refresh your web browser.
- Try a different browser.
- Re-read the instructions.
- Make some tea.
- Check for spelling errors.
- Examine the object in a python shell.
- View page source.
- Have someone else look – fresh eyes fix mistakes.
PyStar is a Safer Space. PyStar is a Learning Space.
- All women are welcome, including trans women.
- Speak from your own experiences.
- Don’t assume race, gender, identity or history of others.
- Use preferred pronouns and names.
- Respect people’s right to self-identify.
- Don’t assume shared experience, belief, or history.
- Assume positive intent.
- Mistakes happen, and we can work through them.
- Everyone has things to contribute.
- Good coversations involve multiple voices.
- Make space for quiet voices to speak.
- Learners have different desires and needs.